Moving house is perhaps the most stressful part of the moving process, as you’ll have to put your trust in a team of removals people to move your goods safely to your new house. Even if you are considering hiring a lorry and moving yourself it is a very stressing time with a lot to consider whether you are moving only a few streets or to a different country potentially. This guide will show you how to choose the best removals company for your needs and some of the questions you need to ask to ensure your move is a smooth one.
Why hire a professional removals company?
Many house movers might find it tempting to choose the cheapest option when it comes to removals, after all, it’s only moving stuff from A to B, right? In fact, the reality is very different. A professional removals firm will not just move your belongings to your new home, but will do so safely, securely, and efficiently.
Too often people have been caught out by cowboy removal companies who are unreliable, don’t have a big enough van, charge you extras you weren’t aware of or damage your property when moving it. If you are considering moving yourself you should think carefully about how you would move heavy items, protect them in transit and the time it takes to pack and unpack efficiently.
Important Questions to Ask Removal Companies
Choosing a reliable and quality removals company can be a challenge, but with this quick guide, you’ll know what questions to ask to make sure you’re dealing with a reliable company:
- Ask for a pre-move survey to confirm the volume of your possessions and discuss your removal requirements. This shouldn’t cost you anything.
- Ask them whether their staff are removal-trained and who by.
- Ask if they are members of members of a trade association like the British Association (BAR). This means they are more likely to give you a quality service and means if anything goes wrong you can complain directly to their trade association.
- Ask to see their removals insurance details. Check you don’t need to supplement this, as some items may not be covered during the move.
How to choose the best home moving service for you
Although you can receive all the right answers to the questions you ask, you might want to consider other matters before making a firm choice:
- Feedback and Reviews. Feedback can potentially be used to separate a good professional removals company from an excellent one, and can reveal the small touches a firm adds that made a big difference to the moving experience. You shuld be able to find independent reviews on sites like Trustpilot and Google.
- Ask how you can pay. Cowboy removal companies often insist on cash-in-hand payments or large deposits. The best removals companies will have no problem with how you pay or want a card or cheque payment.
- The best in the business will also lay out all costs before moving day. They will not throw in any last-minute extras.
The removal company you pick has to feel right for you. If you trust a removal company and they give you a personable approach, this can go a long way in giving you peace of mind.
Removal costs obviously vary considering how much property you have, whether you want to put your belongings into storage, and the value of the property. Things to consider:
- Are there surcharges for heavy items or special items like pianos
- Are there late hour charges
- Do they charge for assembling or dismantling furniture
- Are there charges for packing materials
- Are charges for parking or permits included
- Do they offer storage if you need it
- Are there surcharges for busy or popular dates like weekend or bank holidays
As always when hiring a professional to assistant you with your home, home buying or home selling process ensure that you do your research and organise several quotes. Also ensure that you get a date booked with plenty of time to get organised.
- Decluttering Your Home: Preparing to Move – https://www.whitehorsesurveyors.co.uk/home-improvements/decluttering-your-home-preparing-for-viewings-moving/
- Essential Apps to Make Your Move Easier – https://www.whitehorsesurveyors.co.uk/moving-home/5-essential-apps-to-make-your-move-simpler/
- The British Association of Removers – https://bar.co.uk/